The Arboretum is a nationally important site, home to over 25,000 trees and over 400 memorials that remember ordinary people through the most remarkable of times.
As an Arboretum, maintaining a green environment is something we care passionately about. We know we aren’t perfect yet, but as an organisation we:
- Have solar panels supplementing our Remembrance Centre power generation
- Choose better materials; including ethically sourced, Fairtrade or FSC marked products wherever possible. This includes within our buildings.
- Use electric buggies on site, as well as an electric Land Train and many pieces of electric grounds equipment.
- Use PIR lighting to preserve electricity
- Create habitats for wildlife including our wildlife meadow and bee hives.
- Recycle grounds materials where possible to make pathways to dress gardens or make compost
- Offer seasonal and cook to order menus to help reduce food waste
- Use herbs grown in our own onsite herb garden in the Restaurant
Plastic reduction in operation:
- Where possible, all drinks are served with glassware
- 100% compostable takeaway coffee cups and lids that are composted onsite
- Only paper straws are available
- Onsite purification and carbonation of water, reducing plastic bottle usage and reducing distribution miles.
- Our shop uses a range of recyclable paper wrapping and bags.